I’m officially done for the semester, and it feels so good. Emily and I celebrated with a tiny marathon of The Office and a few rounds of Boggle. We’re pretty wild. Plus, in 24 hours, Domenico and I will be eating Korean food in LA.
In the meantime, I’ve come up with a little list of things I hope to accomplish in the next three months.
1. Become a pro at my new job. I’ll be working full time at the Make-A-Wish headquarters in Phoenix as their creative services intern. I’ve never had a full-time position, so I’m equal parts nervous and excited. I’m really looking forward to getting started in June though.
2. Make stuff with Kaylie. By stuff I mean food and crafts. My bestie has spent the last few months studying abroad in England and having adventures. I’m missing her dearly. I’m sure we’ll spend a lot of time sitting on her patio eating tropical sorbet.
3. Write. I’ve really been neglecting my creative writing lately, and ever since I attended the AWP conference in Seattle, I’ve been feeling inspired. The other, scarier component to this resolution is to actually submit my writing to literary magazines. I need to steel myself against inevitable rejection, but the practice will be good regardless. And I have my eye on a few small journals that might be a good place to start.
4. Read. My list includes: Sandra Cisneros’ Carmelo, Zora Neale Hurston’s Their Eyes Were Watching God, Steve Martin’s Shopgirl, Elaine Dundy’s The Dud Avocado, Truman Capote’s Other Voices, Other Rooms, Jonathan Franzen’s The Corrections, and Jeffrey Eugenides The Virgin Suicides.
6. Swim and drink lemonade. Neither I nor my parents have a pool at our homes, which is a rarity in Arizona. Domenico’s parents have a huge beautiful one though, and it wouldn’t be summer if I didn’t take a few swims there. I also plan to drink a lot of lemonade (perhaps with some coconut rum mixed in), because again, you have to in the summer.